Most parents would never dream of giving their kids dessert for breakfast. But a survey by the Environmental Working Group finds that many cereals marketed to children have more sugar in them than sweet treats do. Here are the 10 worst cereals in terms of sugar per cup.
Cereal, grams of sugar per cup, teaspoons of sugar:
• Kellogg’s Honey Smacks, 20.0, 5 tsp
• Post Golden Crisp, 18.7, 4.6 tsp.
• Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch Original, 16.0, 4 tsp.
• Quaker Oats Oh!s, 16.0, 4 tsp
• Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch OOPS! All Berries, 15.0, 3.7 tsp
• Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch’s Crunch Berries, 14.7, 3.6 tsp
• Kellogg’s Froot Loops Marshmallow, 14.0,3.5 tsp
• Kellogg’s Smorz, 13.0, 3.2 tsp
Before you get too depressed, read more for some decent alternatives. The best bet, however, is to grind those grains yourself. But you knew that already…