Ever visit a landfill? It ain’t pretty. Most of the debris of humanity ends up there. Bottles. Tires. Plastic. Old newspapers that you were suppose to recycle. Well, this month you have a chance to redeem yourself. July is “Waste Less” month and Women Of Green is participating in the GOOD Challenge. A month-long effort to lighten your load (and Mother Earth’s) in any way you can. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Bring your own bags to the grocery store. That means you need to have them in your car at all times. Make a promise that if you forget them halfway through shopping, you will tuck your cart in a corner and sprint by to your car before you hit the checkout line. I have done this many times. It takes all of 3 minutes. Just do it.
- Bring your own coffee mug to your favorite cafe. This, like the bags, requires you to remember to bring it into the store with you. If you forget to wash it out since your morning cup of joe, ask your server or sneak into the restroom for a quick rinse. I promise, you’ll feel great about yourself and inspire others to do the same. They’ll be watching.
- Recycle your newspapers, if you aren’t already. Don’t forget to break down the spaghetti, cereal, detergent, toothpaste, etc. cartons too. Add them to your recycled paper container.
- When you’re finished with that loaf of bread, save the plastic. Just rinse it out and hang to dry. Use it for your kid’s lunch snack just like grandma did.
- Skip the paper birthday card. Call up your friend and sing Happy Birthday to them instead. Guaranteed to make them smile — especially if you can’t sing.
What else? There’s got to be a million more ways to waste not. Inspire us and share them here.