I am a granola freak. I eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One holiday I even made granola for all my friends in pretty packages. The problem is I ate most of it. Something I am not proud of.
So my guest is a woman after my own heart. She started a granola company three years ago and recently sold her one millionth bar. When I asked her the impact she wants to have on the planet, she said, “Everyone has the right to pure and simple food.” It’s that simple for Alison.
Alison Bailey Vercruysse is the CEO and founder of 18 Rabbits. Her love for granola and serving up simple ingredients goes way back to her childhood. Her deep love for her mom (not to mention her secret recipes) stands at the core of the 18 Rabbits brand. Made from ingredients like organic coconut, California almonds, and Straus butter (see I can pronounce all of them) make 18 Rabbits a wholesome, mouth-watering treat. But don’t believe me. If you tell us your favorite “rabbit” story or quip in the comment box below, I’ll send you a free, super yummy 18 Rabbits granola bar — compliments of Alison. What’s up with the rabbits? Listen to this podcast and you’ll see.
This podcast was recorded at the LOHAS Forum in Boulder, Colorado.
About my guest: Alison worked at the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, but found her heart was in creating baked goods. In San Francisco, she delved into the pastry kitchen at the acclaimed Citizen Cake as an apprentice, and then learned hands-on production in the pastry kitchen at Taste Catering. Since Alison found her passion, she is always creating new recipes and rarely makes the same one twice. She also loves to experiment with unique ingredients that she has found on her travels, in written literature or while conversing with people from around the world.
A couple times a year Alison travels to the French countryside where part of her family lives in a 2000-year-old farmhouse among vines, olive trees, a fruit orchard and vegetable garden. She enjoys immersing herself in learning century-old cooking techniques; plucking the fruit off the vines and watching her nephew devour whatever she makes. Alison lives in a Victorian flat in San Francisco with her husband, Craig, a few blocks from Golden Gate Park where they take long strolls under the Redwoods and Cypress trees. They also both host a monthly cooking segment on ABC’s View from the Bay. Alison holds an MBA from DePaul University and a BBA from Southern Methodist University.
Recent reviews: Mother Nature Network and Delicious Living
Want to be part of the ongoing conversation with other WOGs around the world? Become a fan of Women Of Green on Facebook.
Here are other ways to connect too.
My LinkedIn Profile
Calling all Women Entreprenuers! If you are a women who owns or runs a green business, I am starting two WOG Green Business Coaching Groups for both start-up business owners and advanced business owners (in a green business for over 3 years). Here’s some info below on what you’ll be getting yourself into. Come join us if you are serious about starting or growing your green business.
1. Starting a Successful Green Business Coaching Group. The green market is growing in leaps and bounds. But with it, thousands of new products and services enter the marketplace every year. It’s no longer enough to just be green.You have to be great. In this WOG Green Business Coaching Group for start-ups, you will get the solid footing you need in order to start and grow a successful and sustainable business.
This group meets every other week by phone for 90 minutes. In between sessions, there will be targeted homework to continue the efforts established on our calls. This program is limited to 8 women so that each business owner gets the attention and expertise she needs. Your participation in this group will include a one-on-one session with me in a specific area of your choice. Commitment: $350.00 a month for 6 months.
2. Growing a Successful Green Business Coaching Group. If you have been a green business owner for over 3 years, your personal and business needs are different. Our WOG Green Business Coaching Group for the advanced business owner is designed to speak to the issues confronting growing your green business in this economic climate – while creating and maintaining a balanced and joyful life. In the company of other business women like you, we will design and co-create the intention and goals of the group to meet the specific needs of the women business owners involved.
Some areas of focus:
- Keeping your vision strong amidst economic and personal challenges
- New ways of balancing work, life and family
- Creating a strong network and support system
- Overcoming financial obstacles: Making money while making a difference
Due to the nature of this group, it is limited to 8 women owning and running a green business. WOG Green Business Coaching Group meets every other week by phone for 90 minutes.Your participation in this group will include a one-on-one session with me in a specific area of your choice. Commitment: $350.00 a month for 6 months.
For more information on WOG Coaching Groups, please call me at 505-231-2342 or email me here: carolyn (at) mindovermarkets (dot) com.
Women With Wings Coaching, For Women Who are Ready to Fly
Mind Over Markets, A Strategic Green Marketing Communications & Design Company
Green Marketing Blog, Effective Messaging for the Maturing Green Market