Here’s a headline this week on the oil spill:
UPDATE: BP aims to stop 90 pct of oil spill flow with cap. WASHINGTON (Reuters) – BP aims for the containment cap placed over the gushing well pipe in the Gulf of Mexico to stop at least 90 percent of the flow of oil spilling into the ocean, a senior official with the British energy giant said today. “I’d like to see us capture 90 plus percent of this flow. I think that’s possible with this design,” BP Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles told the CBS “Early Show.” Suttles told CNN of the containment cap: “It should work.”
Well, apparently it hasn’t.
My guest today is working hard along with thousands of other volunteers on another solution. Containing the spew with hair – human hair, dog hair, even alpaca hair. This nationwide effort is led by the not-for-profit organization, Matter of Trust, that turns the collected hair into oil collection mats and tubes. And so far they’ve collected hair from thousands of individuals and over 40,000 businesses have signed up.
This podcast is on location at a local salon in Santa Fe. Melodi Wyss-Feliciano, the owner of Rock Paper Scissor Salonspa, is leading the way in New Mexico and has collected boxes and boxes of hair not only from her salon, but others in New Mexico. Yesterday, she added my hair. What about yours? Think of it, your strands seeping up the sludge. It’s a beautiful thing.
If you’re in New Mexico, here’s your chance to donate your locks at the Clean-Up the Gulf Cut-a-Thon at Rock Paper Scissor on Monday, June 7 from 1-5pm. All Proceeds go to Matter Of Trust. Rock Paper Scissor Salonspa, 301 N. Guadalupe, Santa Fe, NM. Call 505-955-8500 for more info.
What about your town?
About my guest: Melodi Wyss-Feliciano is the owner of Rock Paper Scissor Salonspa in Santa Fe, NM. For over 25 years, she has journeyed into different areas of the beauty business but has most enjoyed her work as a color educator and salon owner. When she was 23, she moved to Europe and studied under some of the best hairdressers in the industry. Melodi lives in Santa Fe now with her two children and husband. She says, “It has been my greatest joy to be involved in a community and run a business that employs a dozen members of it. We are committed to paying a living wage, being concience of our footprint and helping others when we can.”
Melodi’s favorite links:
I want to hear from you! If you could have the ear of BP and you knew they were listening, what would you say? I will post responses right here on the home page of Women Of Green!
Calling all Women Entreprenuers! If you are a women who owns or runs a green business, I am starting two WOG Green Business Coaching Groups for both start-up business owners and advanced business owners (in a green business for over 3 years). Here’s some info below on what you’ll be getting yourself into. Come join us if you are serious about starting or growing your green business.
1. Starting a Successful Green Business Coaching Group. The green market is growing in leaps and bounds. But with it, thousands of new products and services enter the marketplace every year. It’s no longer enough to just be green.You have to be great. In this WOG Green Business Coaching Group for start-ups, you will get the solid footing you need in order to start and grow a successful and sustainable business.
This group meets every other week by phone for 90 minutes. In between sessions, there will be targeted homework to continue the efforts established on our calls. This program is limited to 8 women so that each business owner gets the attention and expertise she needs. Your participation in this group will include a one-on-one session with me in a specific area of your choice. Commitment: $350.00 a month for 6 months.
- Vision and Purpose: Clarifying the purpose underlying your business
- Creating Business Strategies : Your Business Compass
- Green Marketing Essentials and Branding
- Goals and Plans: Your roadmap for the next 6 months.
2. Growing a Successful Green Business Coaching Group. If you have been a green business owner for over 3 years, your personal and business needs are different. Our WOG Green Business Coaching Group for the advanced business owner is designed to speak to the issues confronting growing your green business in this economic climate – while creating and maintaining a balanced and joyful life. In the company of other business women like you, we will design and co-create the intention and goals of the group to meet the specific needs of the women business owners involved.
Some areas of focus:
- Keeping your vision strong amidst economic and personal challenges
- New ways of balancing work, life and family
- Creating a strong network and support system
- Overcoming financial obstacles: Making money while making a difference
Due to the nature of this group, it is limited to 8 women owning and running a green business. WOG Green Business Coaching Group meets every other week by phone for 90 minutes.Your participation in this group will include a one-on-one session with me in a specific area of your choice. Commitment: $350.00 a month for 6 months.
For more information on WOG Coaching Groups, please call me at 505-231-2342 or email me here: carolyn (at) mindovermarkets (dot) com.
“Carolyn Parrs is the most knowledgeable, experienced and personable Coach and ally that I can imagine. From the moment I met her to my most recent session, I continue to be so ‘greatful’ to have her support and expertise on a crucial part of my journey. It has made a tremendous difference.”
– Colleen Kelley, Artist, Author, Teacher, Counselor
Want to be part of the ongoing conversation with other WOGs around the world? Become a fan of Women Of Green on Facebook.
Here are other ways to connect too.
My LinkedIn Profile
Women With Wings Coaching, For Women Who are Ready to Fly
Mind Over Markets, A Strategic Green Marketing Communications & Design Company
Green Marketing Blog, Effective Messaging for the Maturing Green Market